24 augusti 2012

Republican Dad





Republican Dad Synopsis

Many of us have relatives whose political beliefs clash with our own. In my case, the family member with whom I disagree most is my own father. And in 2008 he ran for the U.S. House Of Representatives. 

When my dad was younger, his political beliefs were closer to mine. In 1968, he cast his first vote in a Presidential Election for Democrat Hubert Humphrey. Today my dad is a Republican politician. What happened? 

Set against the backdrop of the 2008 Presidential election, REPUBLICAN DAD follows the dramatic twists and turns of my dad’s campaign for Congress and explores his political evolution over the course of his life. Though his campaign provides a narrative thread, the story is not about whether my dad won or lost. Rather, REPUBLICAN DAD is about what happens when fathers and sons, or mothers and daughters, believe in different things.